Studio or Natural Light: Which is better for Business and Actor Headshots?
We’ve found through my years as a photographer that usually people fall into one of two camps….they either don’t care at all and just want amazing photos, or, they had a TERRIBLE previous experience with a natural light/studio light photographer, and are very adamant that they need the other for their shoot.
Here is the great news…. we do both!! We think it is very important for a photographer to be able to do both. There are some cases, where natural light or studio light may really be the best/only option for a client. Having the ability to choose, is like being able to see AND hear. Both are very important!
Natural Light v. Studio Light
- Number of Photos: Natural Light allows us to shoot faster and so you get more photos. Studio light forces me to shoot slower because the light power has to re-load.
- Setup: Setting up the right studio light can take some time. Getting the balance of the lights right is something that needs to be perfect before starting to shoot. Natural light is always ready to g.
- Do you need a blank background? Studio is the best for that. There are tons of backdrop options and solid color options.
- Natural Light allows us to pick out amazing backgrounds and make lot of beautiful Bokeh (the blurry-ness that we LOVE).
- Natural Light means that you are shooting outside and sometimes there is a lack of privacy/pedestrians walking by that you have to ignore.
- Studio lights a lot of times can end up looking too posed and “fake” as opposed to the natural and lifestyle approach of shooting in Natural light.
- Studio light allows you to shoot anytime and not be limited by the time of day.
Still can’t tell which type of light the photographer used to get the shot? just bring in lots of examples of the kinds of photos you like with you! We’ll know and be able to create the best set-up, just for you.
The best idea is to trust your photographer to be able to look at you, know what you are looking for, and deliver you the best photos
Theatrical Actor Headshots
Commercial Youth Actor Headshot